Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Why I Blog (sort of)

Why I write. That is a commonly discussed topic among essayists. For bloggers, it becomes why I blog. But for me, it’s why I relentlessly rack my brains for random thoughts about loose topics to ramble on (great song) about. Sitting at a blank computer screen hurts, I loath it. But at the same time, I get excited when I have something to add to my blog, and the blank screen fills up fast. I have something to write about now; I’m going to blog about blogging (say that 20 years ago and people think your crazy, so I’m told). Now here it goes, why I blog.

I blog because I need to. In need to blog in order to get a good grade in a class, a class in high school that probably has minimal impact on the rest of my life, but might (I like to give this class the benefit of the doubt since it is the class that most entertains me during the day). In the grand scheme of things, I know that I should not be killing myself over such a simple task, but I do. I can’t help myself. I feel guilty when I don’t keep up on the required posts, and I feel guilty that I am only following the guidelines of the blog to their loosest setting. It’s not a good feeling to log onto my blog and see my last post was from a week ago. I want to blog, I really like having the thought that anybody in the whole world can read my words. But blogging is difficult to maintain at a constant rate. I find two reasons for this:

1-Time. It takes time to come up with a reasonable thought, write about it for 400 words, and then put it on the actual blog with tags and links and embedded videos and all. It is difficult to find time to sit down three times a week and repeat the steps mentioned above. An average 400-word post usually takes 25 minutes to write minimum. Maybe I’m not a normal person, but this seems long, and I usually don’t have the kind of time to do this, which all comes around to making me feel guilty again.

2- Lack of things to write about. I read things, I’m curious about a lot of things, I have opinion on almost everything, but I still find myself occasionally staring at a blank computer screen where words wont just magically appear. It sucks. I hate the feeling of helplessness when I have an empty screen and words just wont come. As you may notice, the original topics my blog is supposed to somewhat follow are sports, movies, and food. As you may also notice, it is not uncommon for me to write about something that is completely different then those. My blog has sort of become a place where I just write about whatever is on my mind, which has the always-looming possibility to come out bad. Maybe I’m missing something (I hope I am) but I just don’t have the time or idea bank to consistently write three 400 word posts a week.

Even with all of the difficulties of blogging, I really think it is quite fascinating. Anybody at anytime can read the words that came from my mind. My words all over the world. I don’t care who reads them; I don’t care if they get read. I don’t care if my blog is on Google, I just care that it is out there. Out there in a world of words, I added my own special touch. I added a small part of myself to the infinite Internet. And that feels good, to know that the audience is watching, but not too closely. When I say audience, I am referring to the innocent bystander who happens to stumble across my lonely blog and actually take the time to read it, even if what he reads is one line that makes him click back faster than the split second that it took him to accidentally click on my blog in the first place because that line was 81 words long and had something like 9 mistakes in it and was just unacceptable in his mind. I don’t care if that is the only person that visits my blog. At least its one.

I believe blogging would be truly enjoyable if I got to do it on my own schedule, about whatever I want to write about. And that is the other thing about a blog, you can write however you want. It doesn’t have to be formal, but can if the blogger feels it is necessary. It is how a person wants to write it, freelanced and streamlined.

So there you go, why I blog. This is not a piece of writing that will change the world in any sort of way, but now it is out there, and somebody might just happen to fall into the trap and enjoy it. But the chances are slim at best. 

No comments: